Family Law

Experienced Divorce Lawyers Guiding New Hampshire Residents

The New Hampshire family law attorneys at Normandin, Cheney & O'Neil understand that legal matters involving your family can be delicate and emotional. Whether you are separating from your spouse, arranging parenting time with children, or determining child or spousal support amounts, we can provide you with individualized legal advice and knowledgeable representation. We have assisted people throughout Belknap, Grafton, Carroll, and Merrimack Counties for more than 100 years, working closely with clients to further their interests and protect their rights in divorce and parenting proceedings. Normandin, Cheney & O’Neil also can provide representation to people who need an injury attorney or assistance with a criminal defense, real estate, elder law, estate planning, workers’ compensation, or Social Security matter.

Guidance in Family Law Proceedings

In New Hampshire, spouses may use either no-fault or fault-based grounds as the basis for seeking a divorce. In no-fault divorce proceedings, the parties assert that the reason for their divorce is irreconcilable differences that caused the irremediable breakdown of the marriage. Most marriages are dissolved through this process, in which the court does not consider evidence of whether the actions of either party caused the breakdown of the marriage.

In fault-based divorce cases, one or both of the parties allege that the other has committed marital misconduct. This requires the submission of evidence to the court to prove the grounds alleged. Some of the more common grounds include adultery, extreme cruelty and treatment which seriously injures health or endangers reason.

There are alternatives to traditional divorce litigation that some people may wish to consider. The parties can engage in collaborative divorce proceedings or resolve disputes concerning alimony, property distribution and related matters in mediation.

If divorcing parties have minor children together, New Hampshire requires that a Parenting Plan be filed. The Parenting Plan primarily governs residential responsibilities and parenting time. Parents have the opportunity to develop a Parenting Plan without court interference, but if they cannot settle their differences, the court may put an order in place. To modify an existing Parenting Plan, it may be possible for the parties to petition the court if there is a substantial change in circumstances.

In New Hampshire, both parents are financially obligated to support their children. The amount of child support required is provided by statutory guidelines that consider many factors, including the parents’ individual income, number of children, and expenses. In many cases, the parent with the greater income will be obligated to pay child support to the other parent if they share residential custody of their children, although the court will ultimately determine the obligations of each parent. If a substantial change in circumstances occurs, a parent may petition the court to modify the child support order. Since each family’s situation is unique, discussing your concerns with a knowledgeable family law attorney can help you better understand what to expect from this process.

Discuss a Family Law Matter with a New Hampshire Attorney

Protecting your right to parent your children as well as your financial interests in a divorce proceeding is important. At Normandin, Cheney & O'Neil, our New Hampshire family law lawyers can advocate on your behalf. Drawing upon our experience in other practice areas, we can offer comprehensive information regarding your legal options so that you can make a fully informed decision. From our Laconia office, we represent people in communities across Belknap, Grafton, Carroll, and Merrimack Counties. Contact us by phone at (603) 524-4380 or online to arrange a consultation. We also are ready to help people who need a criminal defense attorney or representation in matters involving real estate, workers’ compensation, government benefits, estate planning, or elder abuse, among other areas of the law.

Contact Us